Saturday, November 22, 2008

Kemmanagundi Day 1.

So we did go on our trip, a beautiful hill station 250km from B'lore. Day 1 started with trekking to 'Z point' uphill. The guide kept saying it was an easy terrain, I beg to differ. It only got scarier as we took the narrow path leading up the hill (mini mountain rather),the view down wasn't helping either. One wrong step and you would go sliding all the way down to the jaws of death. With the guide saying things like 'keep to your right...I mean your left' I was sure I wouldn't be going back home after this. En route we stopped at a tiny water falls called Shanti falls. Plan was to reach the hill top to see the sunset, by the time we reached it was pitch dark and the moon was out. Though we were jubilant the thought of reaching back down in the dark was gnawing me. We took the same route back, I don't remember much except there were a lot of nervous laughter until the time we were fully safe. Tea and pakodas later they took us some 4km from base camp in the wild where we were to camp. Save for the bonfire there was absolutely no light, even the moon decided to hide, look all around one could see vast nothingness. Few games,laughter and a good dinner later we retired to the safety of our tents. Sure it was preplanned and there were lots people but this was by far the most adventurous day in my life.




3 comments:

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

excellent!

Anonymous said...

The tents remind me of the Roadies travel episode. My biggest fear outdoors is mosquitoes. Did you guys get hit?

Looks so much fun! My office never does such trips! :( I'm complaining to them right now.

FlyingHigh said...

rinchen, yeah reminded me of roadies even. We didn't have a bitching session next to the campfire thankfully!

There were no mosquitoes, I carried odomos as a precaution. Odomos comes in a nice gel pack and doesn't stink now.

Oh I drove this trip. Maybe you should too..it was a lot of fun indeed!